Brownies are chocolate cakes, melting in places, baked.
The traditional version requires sugar, eggs, flour, butter and chocolate, and possibly pieces of nuts (pecans in North America and traditional nuts in Europe) or hazelnuts. They are often accompanied by custard or Chantilly cream.
They were invented by a chef at the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago, Illinois in 1893, a hotel owned by Palmer Cox, an illustrator. The name brownie is inspired by the name of the characters Brownie drawn by the latter.
Brownies were popularized in the United States and Canada during the first half of XXe century then in Europe to China.
The recipe below is a vegan version.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Preparation time : 20 min|
|Cooking time : 55 min|
|Total time : 1 h 15 min|
|Yield : 5/6 servings|
|1.2 cup flour|
|1/3 cup dark chocolate|
|5 oz water|
|0.3 cup cane sugar|
|0.3 cup natural soy yogurt|
|2 tbsp dark chocolate chips|
|1.5 tbsp bitter cocoa powder|
|1/2 sachet cream of tartar|
|5 tbsp sunflower oil|
|Crunch filing :|
|5 tbsp peanuts|
|3 tbsp cane sugar|
|1 tbsp water|
Crunch filing :
- Pour the sugar and water into a saucepan.
- Heat by stirring until it starts to caramelize, then add the peanuts and finish the caramelization for a few minutes.
- The caramel ready, spread it on baking paper and let cool.
- Break the crunchy in a blender so as to obtain a coarse grain.
- In the blender, place the dark chocolate in pieces.
- Mix until you get powder.
- With a spoon, spread the powder at the bottom.
- Add water, sugar and oil. Mix well.
- Again, with a spoon, put in the bottom and add the flour, cocoa, yoghurt and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with crunchy and chopped chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- Bake for 50 min until the knife blade pressed into the middle of the cake comes out dry.
- Go out and let cool.
- Enjoy !