Coleslaw or cabbage salad (from the Dutch term koolsla meaning cabbage salad)) is a salad consisting mainly of coleslaw with a vinaigrette (or mayonnaise) sauce.
It is generally served as an accompaniment to fish dishes, burgers or bagels. The original recipe made from thin slices of cabbage, melted butter, vinegar and oil; as well as the term, appeared in the 18th century (“kool” in Dutch being deformed into “cole” in English). The recipe for coleslaw with mayonnaise dates from the mid-18th century.
The following recipe is without mayonnaise.
|Difficulty level : low|
|Preparation time : 20 min|
|Rest time : 15 min|
|Cook time : –|
|Total time : 35 min|
|Yield : 4 servings|
|5 cup cabbage|
|2 tbsp dried raisins|
|2 tbsp horseradish|
|1 tbsp lemon juice|
|1/4 cup soy milk|
|0.4 cup soy yogurt|
|1 cup apples|
|1 pinch of pepper|
|1 pinch of salt|
|2 tbsp walnuts|
- Pour the raisins into a bowl, then cover with lukewarm water to soften them.
- In a bowl, combine soy yogurt and soy milk and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Let stand for 15 min.
- Wash and finely grate the cabbage into small strips.
- Wash the cabbage with plenty of cold water, then squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl, add the salt, pepper, the yoghurt and soy milk mixture, the raisins, the apple slices and a handful of roughly chopped walnuts.
- Optionally add a little finely grated horseradish.
- Serve and enjoy!