Jericallas (jericayas ou chiricayas) are custards made of milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar.
Typical of Central American countries, one of the most popular sort is Mexican and dates back to the 19th century. It was invented by the nuns of the Cabañas Orphan Hospice in Guadalajara (Mexico) to feed their young residents suffering from malnutrition. In order to increase the amount of protein and calcium consumed by children, they had the idea of preparing a custard made from milk, eggs and sugar. One day, it was accidentally burned but, children appreciating it all the more, this recipe was favored thereafter. Similar to “crème brûlée”, although paler in color, this flan with a slightly curdled texture is named after the birthplace of one of the Hospice Superior Mothers, Jérica, a town in the province of Castellón (Valencian Community) in Spain.
Easy and quick to prepare, sweet and delicious, that are perfect for daytime snacks.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 10 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cooking time : 45 min|
|Total time : 55 min|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|2 cups milk|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|1 tbsp vanilla extract|
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 360° F.
- In a non-stick saucepan, add the milk with the cinnamon and the vanilla extract.
- Add the sugar, stir everything and let it boil.
- When it comes to a boil, take it out of the heat and let it stand at room temperature.
- In a bowl, break the eggs and beat them.
- Gradually add 7 to 8 tbsp hot milk to this mixture while whisking until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Then return to the saucepan containing the remaining milk, beating vigorously until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Divide the preparation into individual molds. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Prepare a large container with water, then put the ramekins in a double boiler.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the flans are curdled.
- To brown the surface, put on the highest oven rack and cook for about 10 minutes more, increasing the temperature to 400° F.
- Exit the bain-marie and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy !