A cupcake is a small cake originally made of of one cup of butter, two cups of sugar, three cups of flour and four eggs. Delicious, served individually, it looks like a muffin but, the ingredients are different.
It is usually baked in a paper mold and covered with a salty frosting (in the United States made from cream cheese) which can be made into a sweet frosting. The cupcake is made on all kinds of occasions. Of North American origin, it is very popular in the United States due to its easy-to-remember traditional recipe. Also called number cake or 1234 cake, it fell into disuse from the 1960s to the 1990s until it was rehabilitated by the television series Sex and the City.
The recipe that follows is a vanilla flavor variation !
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 20 min|
|Cook time : 20 min|
|Rest time : 15 min|
|Total time : 55 min|
|Yield : 24 cupcakes|
|2.5 cups flour|
|2.5 tsp baking powder|
|1 cup unsalted butter softened|
|1.5 cups sugar|
|4 large eggs (room temperature)|
|4 tsp vanilla extract|
|1 cup buttermilk or plain kefir (room temperature)|
|1 tsp salt|
|Vanilla frosting :|
|4 cups powdered sugar|
|1/2 cup salted butter (room temperature)|
|1/2 cup shortening|
|1.5 tsp vanilla extract|
|2 tbsp water or milk|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar during 5 minutes until thick and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition then scrape down the bowl.
- Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the buttermilk, mixing to incorporate with each addition.
- Scrape down the bowl as needed and beat until just combined and smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly into two 12-count lined cupcake pan, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 °F, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water or milk and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining water or milk as needed and mix until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy !