A triple coconut poke cake is a poke cake with a coconut base, a coconut filling and a grated coconut topped with a fluffy white glaze.
A poke cake is a cake in which holes are digged just after baking when it is still hot using a straw, a stick or the handle of a wooden spoon. It is then poured with a filling (condensed milk, mashed fruit, chocolate cream or pudding) introduced into the multitude of holes as to garnish the heart of the cake. At last, it is covered with whipped cream, chocolate chips, fruit, pieces of caramel, grated coconut, etc. This gourmet dessert combines the softness of the cake, sweetness of the filling and creaminess of the whipped cream.
Poke cakes were created in the 1970 years by the Jell-O gelatin brand (“Jell-O Geloke Poke Cake”). Once the holes were drilled on top of the cake, a strawberry colored Jell-O syrup was added.
Easy to prepare, delicious and fun, this poke cake is an incredible triple coconut sweetness.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 40 min|
|Rest time : 24 hours|
|Cook time : 25 min|
|Total time : 1h 5 min + 24 h (rest)|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|1 + 1/3 cup flour|
|1 cup caster sugar|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 / 2 tsp salt|
|1/2 cup butter|
|2/3 cup coconut milk|
|3 egg whites|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|1 cup coconut milk|
|2 tbsp corn starch|
|2 medium egg yolks|
|3 tbsp caster sugar|
|1 pinch of salt|
|1/2 cup coconut cream|
|1 tbsp rum with coconut (Malibu type)|
|175 ml of cold thick cream|
|1.5 tbsp granulated sugar|
|1/2 tsp vanilla extract|
|3 tbsp flaked coconut|
- Preheat the oven to 360° F.
- Butter a 10 to 12 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and continue to mix until the preparation becomes sandy.
- Place the coconut milk, egg whites and vanilla in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Add half of this coconut milk mixture to the flour mixture and beat until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Add the other half of the coconut milk mixture and beat until thick and smooth.
- Pour the dough into the mold evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min until a knife blade inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Place 1.5 tbsp coconut milk and the corn starch in a medium-sized bowl and stir until the cornflower is dissolved.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Put aside.
- Place the remaining coconut milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir until boiling.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the hot coconut milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture little by little until everything is combined.
- Once incorporated, return the mixture to the pot and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to boil and thicken.
- Continue to whisk and cook 1 to 2 min max.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut cream and coconut rum.
First assembly :
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke deep holes in the cake.
- Pour the hot pudding evenly over the surface, gently spreading it with a spatula.
- Allow to cool to room temperature so that the pudding diffuses into the cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Whipped cream :
- Cool a large bowl during 15 min.
- Place the cream, sugar and vanilla in the cooled bowl and stir until stiff peaks form.
Coconut grill :
- Toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 min with a wooden spoon, until golden brown.
- Put in a small plate to cool.
Last assembly :
- Cover the cake with whipped cream and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Garnish each serving with a maraschino cherry.
- Serve and enjoy !