Snowball cookies are cookies made of walnuts, butter, sugar, flour, vanilla, salt; sprinkled with icing sugar.
Very popular in the United States, their name is due to their spherical shape and icing sugar coating, which makes them look like snowballs. Particularly melting in the mouth, with an intense nutty aroma, they are perfect during daytime snacks.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 15 min|
|Rest time : 3 h 10 min|
|Cook time : 15 min|
|Total time : 30 min + 3 h 10 min (rest)|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|1 cup walnuts|
|1/2 cup butter|
|2 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp vanilla sugar|
|1 cup flour|
|1 pinch of salt|
|icing sugar to taste|
- Finely chop the walnuts into powder.
- Do not overheat them to prevent them from releasing their oil.
- In a bowl, beat the soft, but not melted butter, with the sugar with an electric mixer until you obtain a foamy cream.
- Then add the sifted flour, walnut flour and a pinch of salt. Work the mixture until you obtain a homogeneous dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.
- After resting, collect the dough and shape into small balls the size of a large walnut.
- Place on a plate lined with baking paper and put the plate back for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 320 ° F.
- Bake for about 15 min.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let cool without moving the plate, because when they are hot they are crumbly.
- Prepare a small bowl with the icing sugar.
- While the cookies are still hot, gently roll in the icing sugar and cover completely and giving them a “snowball” appearance.
- Serve and enjoy !