A rum cake is a type of dessert cake which contains rum.
In most of the Caribbean, rum cakes are a traditional holiday season dessert, descended from the holiday puddings. Traditionally, dried fruit is soaked in rum for months and added to dough prepared with sugar which has been caramelized by boiling in water. The result, also known as “black cake”, is similar to a fruitcake, with a lighter texture.
In Trinidad and Tobago, fruits are preserved in cherry brandy to be used in the making of black cake during Christmas. In Puerto Rico, rum cake called Bizcocho de Ron is a sponge cake, so as to absorb the rum. Fresh or died fruit is sometimes added to it. Raisins and sultanas may be soaked in rum for one night. Bizcochos de Ron are given as gifts during the holiday season. In the United States, rum cakes have been popular since at least the 1970s. In Europe, Neapolitan rum cakes and french “baba au rhum” are famous since the XVIIth century. They don’t include fresh or dried fruit.
The recipe below is a rum cake without fruit, a Neapolitan recipe.
|Level of difficulty : low|
|Prep time : 25 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 40 min|
|Total time : 1 h 5 min|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|2 cups flour|
|2 cups caster sugar|
|3 fl oz oil|
|3 fl oz milk|
|1 tbsp baking powder|
|2 fl oz rum|
|1.5 sticks butter (0.7 cup butter)|
|0.4 cup water|
|5 fl oz rum|
|3/4 cup caster sugar|
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla, mix well.
- Melt the butter at room temperature and mix with the sugar to obtain a smooth cream.
- Incorporate the eggs, oil, milk and rum, mix well with a spoon and gradually add the sifted flour, mixing everything with a wooden spoon.
- Obtained a smooth paste, return the mixture to the previously buttered mold.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 320° F and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, add the Rum, sugar, salt and water.
- Take the rum cake out of the oven, let it cool to room temperature and make small holes all over the surface with a toothpick.
- Drain the icing and serve your Rum Cake.
- Serve and enjoy !
Looks great! 💞