A carrot cake is a cake made of carrots, eggs, sugar, flour, oil, walnuts and vanilla with a cream cheese frosting.
Swiss specialty from the canton of Aargau, in the Anglo-Saxon world, it took the name of carrot cake. In the United States, it is celebrated every February 3 at the National Carrot Cake Day.
Carrot cake comes from a medieval dish, carrot pudding. At that time, sugar was very difficult to obtain, so sweet vegetables were used for desserts. In the United States, President George Washington particularly enjoyed the carrot cake he ate in a tavern in Lower Manhattan.
During the Second World War, the British Ministry of Food encouraged the British to make carrot recipes: carrot cakes, carrot puddings or carrot pies!
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 15 min|
|Cook time : 40 min|
|Total time : 55 min|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|2 cups grated carrots|
|1 cup sugar|
|1.5 cup flour|
|1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|2/3 cup walnuts|
|1.5 tsp liquid vanilla extract|
|3 / 4 tsp nutmeg|
|3 / 4 tbsp baking powder|
|1.5 tsp cinnamon|
|Cream cheese frosting :|
|8 oz cream cheese, softened|
|1/4 cup butter, softened|
|3 tsp milk|
|4 cups powdered sugar|
|1 tsp vanilla / nutmeg|
- Mix with electric mixer egg and sugar.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and then oil.
- Mix everything well.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Mix gently and increase the power until you get a smooth paste.
- Add grated carrots and crushed nuts.
- Mix gently until the dough becomes smooth.
- Lightly oil and flour a 13*9 inch pan and pour in the preparation.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the knife blade comes out dry.
- Let cool.
Cream cheese frosting :
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable.
- Frost 13×9-inch cake or fill and frost round layers with frosting.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on frosted cake, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy !