Pound cake is a type of cake traditionally made with a pound of each of four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. It is generally baked in a loaf pan or a Bundt mold. It is sometimes served either dusted with powdered sugar, lightly glazed, or with a coat of icing.
It is believed that the pound cake is of northern European origin (early 1700s). Over time the ingredients for pound cake changed.
In France, the pound cake is named “quatre-quarts”, which means four quarters. In Mexico, the pound cake is called panqué. Ponqué is the Colombian and Venezuelan version of the pound cake (the term ponqué is a Spanish phonetic approximation of pound-cake).
Easy and quick to prepare, with its lemon flavor and dense crumb, this lemon pound cake is ideal for breakfast or late afternoon snacks.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 20 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 60 min|
|Total time : 1 h 20 min|
|Yield : 10/12 servings|
|2.5 cups caster sugar|
|1.5 cups butter (unsalted and softened)|
|3.5 cups flour|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1 pinch salt|
|2 tsp lemon extract|
|1 tbsp lemon zest|
|Lemon glaze :|
|2 cups icing sugar|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|2 tbsp butter (softened)|
- Preheat oven to 360° F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- In a bowl, beat about 10 min white sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, thoroughly beating each egg into the butter mixture before adding the next.
- In a bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture; mix well.
- Pour in 1/2 the buttermilk and beat until combined.
- Repeat adding the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, beating well after each addition, and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir lemon extract and lemon zest into batter.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Reduce oven temperature to 320° F.
- Bake in the oven 60 min until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 min before removing to a cake plate.
Lemon glaze :
- Beat icing sugar, lemon juice, and softened butter together in a bowl until glaze is smooth.
- Pour about half the glaze over the cake; let cool.
- Pour remaining glaze over the cake.
- Possibly add lemon zest on top.
- Serve and enjoy !