A doughnut or donut is a type of leavened fried dough.
Various toppings and flavorings are used for different types, such as sugar, chocolate, or maple glazing. Doughnuts may also include water, leavening, eggs, milk, sugar, oil, shortening, and natural or artificial flavors.
The two most common types are the ring doughnut and the filled doughnut, which is injected with fruit preserves, cream, custard, or other sweet fillings. Once fried, doughnuts may be glazed with a sugar icing, spread with icing or chocolate on top, or topped with powdered sugar, cinnamon, sprinkles or fruit. Doughnuts are often accompanied by coffee, but can also be paired with milk.
The first donuts would have arrived in America in the 17th century with settlers from the Netherlands and their deep fried doughnut balls. The introduction of the donut is also claimed in the XVIIIe century by Quebeckers and Louisians.
The following recipe is an easy and delicious one.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 10 min|
|Cook time : 20 min|
|Rest time : 2 hours|
|Total time : 2 hours 30 min|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|3 cups flour|
|1/3 cup powdered sugar|
|3 tbsp melted butter|
|1 cup milk (at room temperature)|
|1 tbsp baker’s yeast|
|3 cups oil|
|1 to 2 pinches of salt|
- In a large bowl, stir in yeast and milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and half the flour for a few minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the flour little by little while stirring constantly.
- Knead for 5 min until the dough becomes homogeneous and elastic.
- Place in a container covered with a damp cloth.
- Let the dough rise during 1 h at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place the ball of dough on a slightly floured work surface and spread it on 0.4 inch thick.
- Detail the donuts with a special or round cookie cutter, forgetting to make the hole in the middle.
- Leave to rest on a lightly floured tea towel for 1 hour at room temperature or 25 min in the oven at 85° F so that they double in size.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to 350° F.
- Cook the donuts 45 sec on each side.
- Sweeten, glaze or stuff the donuts.
- Enjoy !