A roman style pizza (or pizza al taglio in Italian) is a pizza that is shaped into a large rectangle and cut into rectangle slices.
Besides the shape, what sets pizza al taglio apart from the typical pizza is the crust, which is relatively thicker yet and (surprisingly) lighter than most. Its dough is made with a greater proportion of water, then cold fermented to help it rise and create its unique texture.
Born in the post-war period, when bakers had the idea of taking bread dough and baking it on a baking sheet after seasoning it, the Roman cut pizza is characterized today by its crunchy base and soft crumb, honeycomb and melting.
In the 1980s, the need to keep pizza by the slice on the counter for a few hours and make it crispy again after reheating it led some Roman professionals, first Angelo Iezzi and then Gabriele Bonci, to design pasta very hydrated based on flour with high water absorption, little yeast and salt.
Easy to prepare, soft, thick and crisp, it is perfect for meals with a green salad.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 35 min|
|Rest time : 3 h 45 min|
|Cook time : 30 min|
|Total time : 1 h 5 min + 3 h 45 min (rest)|
|Yield : 4 / 6 servings|
|2 cups flour|
|2 cups Manitoba-type flour|
|1.25 cup water, at room temperature|
|3 tbsp olive oil|
|1/2 tbsp dehydrated brewer’s yeast|
|1 tsp sugar|
|2 tsp salt|
|1.5 cups tomato sauce|
|1 cup mozzarella|
|olive oil / basil|
- In a bowl, combine the two flours, the dehydrated yeast and the sugar, then gradually add the water while mixing.
- Also add the oil and when the dough is well mixed, add the salt.
- Form a ball of dough.
- Place in a bowl lightly coated with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft-free place (oven off with light on) for at least 3 hours until it has more than doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and roll out with your hands, fingertips, from the inside to the outside of the dough until it forms a 10*12 inch rectangle.
- Let rise for another 45 minutes in the bowl then in the pan
- Garnish the pizza with tomato sauce, season with salt, add a drizzle of oil and a few basil leaves.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 480° F.
- Bake for about 20 min.
- Then add the mozzarella cut into small pieces and well drained on the pizza and bake again for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Enjoy !