Chili con carne (or “chili with meat”) is a spicy meat stew made from beef and chili.
Often associated with Mexico, this dish originates from the southern United States. There are different variations based on various meats, red or black beans, corn, red or green peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cumin, coriander …
Its name is a deformation of the Spanish “chile con carne” (“chili con carne “).
Easy to prepare, tasty and slightly spicy, it is perfect as a main course with a green salad and tacos.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 35 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 2 hrs|
|Total time : 2 hrs 35 mins|
|Yield : 8 servings|
|1.75 pounds (800 g) ground beef|
|1.55 pounds (700 g) precooked black beans|
|0.55 lb (250 g) red peppers|
|2.25 cups (500 g) tomato puree|
|2 cups (500 g) meat broth|
|0.35 lb (160 g) white onions + 3.5 ounces (100 g) red onions|
|1 small box of corn|
|3 cloves garlic|
|1.5 teaspoons chili powder|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|1 tablespoon ground coriander|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|1 fluid ounce (30 ml) olive oil|
|1 tablespoon black pepper|
|2 teaspoon salt|
- Prepare 2 cups (500 g) of meat broth.
- Cut the peeled garlic cloves and the red and white onions into thin slices.
- Chop the chilli and cut the peppers into pieces.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the minced meat and brown over medium-high heat, stirring well.
- Salt, mix with a ladle of broth and continue to brown for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, pour the remaining olive oil and add the chili, garlic and onions.
- Add the peppers, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- Add the cumin and coriander powder, mix with a ladle of broth and cook over medium-high heat for 10 min.
- Add the previously browned beef.
- Pour in the tomato puree and most of the remaining broth.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking that it does not dry too much, otherwise add a little remaining broth.
- Then add the beans with their preservative liquid, the corn without its liquid, cover again and cook 40 minutes more over low-medium heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with a few cilantro leaves and serve while still hot.