Almond cream filling (frangipane) is a cream made of two thirds of almond cream and one third of pastry cream.
The name of the cream comes from the Italian surname Frangipani but, several interpretations exist:
- the cream recipe was given by Count Cesare Frangipani as a wedding present to Catherine de Medici (wife of the future King of France Henri II).
- the delicious essence of a shrub, Plumeria alba (or “frangipani”) discovered in 1493 by the botanist Mutio Fragipani would have been used in his honor.
- the grandson of Mutio, Pompéo Frangipani, marquis and marshal of the armies of Louis XIII, having perfected the perfume of frangipane to hide the smell of the leather of gloves and shoes, the invention of cream would have been attributed to him…
Easy and quick to make, with a delicate texture and flavor, it is a perfect filling for galette des rois, pancakes, cakes and desserts.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 15 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 15 min|
|Total time : 30 min|
|Yield : 6 people|
|1/2 cup (100 g) sugar|
|1 cup (100 g) almond powder|
|1/2 cup (100 g) butter|
|1/2 cup (100 g) pastry cream|
- Prepare the pastry cream and let cool.
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator 30 min before use, cut into small pieces and leave at room temperature.
- Once softened, put in a bowl and work vigorously with a spatula until obtaining a texture as supple as that of an ointment.
- Put the ointment butter in a large bowl.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Stir in each egg one at a time.
- Mix vigorously and quickly with a whisk until you obtain a smooth preparation.
- Optionally add rum or flavoring.
- Add the ground almonds and mix.
- Mix pastry cream and almond cream until you obtain a smooth cream.
- Wrp with plastic food film and put in the refrigerator.
- Use within 48 h.