Greek yogurt Lemon cake is a cake made with flour, sugar, eggs, lemon, Greek yogurt, oil, soaked in lemon syrup; that can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
Easy and quick to prepare, soft and syrupy, this cake originating from Greece can be enjoyed at the end of a meal or during the daytime snacks.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 15 mins|
|Break : 15 mins|
|Cook time : 55 mins|
|Total time : 1 hour 10 mins + 15 mins (rest)|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|1.1 cup (220 g) powdered sugar|
|2 lemons (juice and grated zest)|
|2.5 cups (300 g) flour|
|1 tablespoon baking powder|
|1.1 cup (275 g) Greek yogurt|
|1/2 cup (125 ml) oil|
|Lemon syrup :|
|2 lemons (zest)|
|1 cup (200 g) sugar|
|2/3 cup (160 ml) of water|
|1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice|
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Line a 8-9 inch round pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add the 3 eggs and 1.1 cups of sugar and whisk for 5 minutes until white and fluffy.
- Add the juice and zest of 2 lemons and continue beating for another 2 to 3 mins.
- While whisking, gradually add flour, yogurt and oil to the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 45 to 50 mins until a knife blade comes out dry when inserted in the center of the cake.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 mins.
- Turn out onto a rack and let cool.
- Remove the lemon peel, avoiding the bitter white part, and cut into very thin strips.
- Bring a little water to a boil in a saucepan, add the zests and boil for 1 min from the time of boiling.
- Remove from heat and drain in a colander, rinse.
- Put the water, sugar, lemon juice and drained zests in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 4 mins from boiling.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about 3 mins.
- Take a colander, remove the zests and put them in a bowl.
- Once cooled, pierce the cake in various places all over the surface.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cake and let it cool completely while it absorbs the syrup.
- Unmold, garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!