Homemade 1-ingredient butter and buttermilk is prepared from fresh cream containing at least 35% fat.
Preparing butter at home makes it possible to obtain both butter and buttermilk. Homemade butter, unlike commercial butter, has a more delicate, almost sweet taste. It is possible to flavor it as you wish. Without flavoring or salt, it is ideal for making sourdough cakes. Buttermilk is used instead of milk to make soft and tasty cakes.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 10 mins|
|Rest : –|
|Cook time : –|
|Total time : 10 mins|
|about 1/2 pound of butter|
|2 cups of 35% fat fresh cream put in the freezer for 10 minutes before use|
- Pour the cream into a bowl and whip on low speed until it starts to come together.
- Increase speed and keep beating.
- Little by little, the cream will lose its volume.
- After a few minutes, the fat separates from the liquids and takes on a yellowish color.
- Filter the mixture with a sieve: the filtered liquid forms the buttermilk and the part in the sieve constitutes the butter.
- Crush the mass with a spatula or even your hands to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer the butter to a bowl and refrigerate to store until the cream’s expiration date.
- For longer storage, store the prepared butter in the freezer in the bottle.