A eggless lemon curd is a cream made of lemon, egg yolks, water, corn starch and butter.
Of British origin, at the end of the XIXth century and early XXth century, lemon creams (lemon curds) were served with bread or scones (bread rolls) with afternoon tea instead of jams or used as a garnish for cakes, pastries and pies. Lemon pies, topped with lemon curd topped with meringue (similar to lemon meringue pies) have been one of the favorite desserts of the British and Americans since the XIXth century.
|Level of difficulty : easy|
|Prep time : 10 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 10 min|
|Total time : 20 min|
|Ingredients : about 2 cups curd|
|3 egg yolks|
|2/3 cup sugar|
|0.4 cup lemon juice|
|0.4 cup water|
|2 tsp corn starch|
|4 tbsp butter|
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and set aside.
- Cut the butter into pieces.
- In a saucepan, beat the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and mix with a whisk.
- After diluting the cornstarch in the water, pour into the saucepan and stir until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Heat over low heat until the cream thickens, while stirring with a spatula.
- Remove from the heat after obtaining the desired consistency.
- Add the butter and smooth the preparation well.
- Pour into a jar and let cool completely before putting in the refrigerator.
- Use and enjoy !