Dulce de leche (or caramelized milk or milk jam in English) is a confection from Latin America prepared by slowly heating sugar and milk over a period of several hours. It is typically used to top or fill other sweet foods.
It can be eaten alone, but is more commonly used as a topping or filling for other sweet foods, such as cakes, churros, cookies, waffles, crème caramel (known as flan in Spanish-speaking regions and pudim in Portuguese-speaking ones), fruits like banana, and ice creams. It is also a popular spread on crepes (pancakes) and toast.
|Difficulty level : low|
|Prep time : 5 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 3 h|
|Total time : 5 min + 3 h (rest)|
|1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)|
- Place can In a pot large enough to accommodate it.
- Fill with water so the can is submerged by 1-2 inches.
- Place over medium high heat.
- As soon as the water comes to a boil reduce to a simmer then just keep an occasional eye on the water level and refill as necessary : 2 hours of simmering will give you a light golden color while 3 will yield a darker amber color with a richer flavor.
- Let cool, use and enjoy !