A chocolate chip cookie is a drop cookie that features chocolate chips or chocolate morsels. Chocolate chip cookies originated in the United States around 1938, when Ruth Graves Wakefield chopped up a Nestlé semi-sweet chocolate bar and added the chopped chocolate to a cookie recipe.
Generally, the recipe starts with a dough composed of flour, butter, both brown and white sugar, semi-sweet chocolate chips, eggs, and vanilla. Variations may add other types of chocolate, as well as additional ingredients such as nuts or oatmeal. A chocolate chocolate chip cookie uses a dough flavored with chocolate or cocoa powder, before chocolate chips are mixed in. These variations of the recipe are also referred to as ‘double’ or ‘triple’ chocolate chip cookies, depending on the combination of dough and chocolate types.
The English word “cookie” comes from the Dutch “koekje” (small cookie), introduced to the United States by the Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam. This term is used in North America to refer to various dry cookies. In France, it means a round chocolate chip cookie or chocolate chip cookie in English.
The following recipe is an easy and delicious double chocolate chip cookies recipe.
|Difficulty level : easy|
|Prep time : 20 min|
|Rest time : –|
|Cook time : 20 min|
|Total time : 40 min|
|Yield : 6 servings|
|1.3 cup dark chocolate|
|1 cup milk chocolate|
|1/2 cup butter|
|1 cup all purpose flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 pinch salt|
|1 egg yolk|
|3/4 cup sugar|
|1 vanilla pod|
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler in a bowl and let cool.
- Cut the butter into pieces and let soften at room temperature then add the sugar and the vanilla beans.
- Beat in a blender until you get a light and creamy mixture.
- Add the eggs one at a time while continuing to whisk.
- Add salt and melted chocolate.
- Then gradually add the flour and baking powder sifted together and finally the milk chocolate reduced in small cubes.
- Mix well then add 1 to 2 tbsp of dough on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Shape 2 inch cookies.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 400° F.
- Bake about 15 to 20 min.
- Gently remove the cookies with a spatula and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!